Membership

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Naked Elves Forum Index -> Mage Class Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LtoMelt

re: scorch, scorch, scorch, scorch, scorch, win!

Hello all,

By the end of this post, I would hope one would have a better understanding of the Raid Fire Mage and what they bring to the table for raids around Azeroth. (Please keep in mind that everything I am about to say is completely opinion based. However, I have had success with these tatics and strategies.)

Before we begin, lets get into the nitty gritty of the spec. This is a fire intensive build (2/48/11 http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Exodar&n=Ltomelt). There are a number of different ways you can spend your points in frost, but ultimatly you want the 11th point to be Icy Veins for the buff. The 2 points in Arcane can go into Arcane Subtlty to increase the amount of spell hit into your character's natural abilities. As you can see, I went all the way down to Dragon's Breath in the fire tree. Not neccessary, but helpful went stuck in a tight situation.

First things first...spell hit needs to be capped while playing this class. The reason I say this is because one could have all the damage/crit/haste he or she could ever want with different gear builds, but how much damage do you crit for when you miss? Why would it matter how fast you're casting if you can't even hit the damn thing? In order to effeciently play a raid instensive mage, spell hit needs to be capped.

Secondly, having the right gear usually aids to any class in the game. If you can construct a raiding set that has +dmg/+crit set bonuses or get trinkets that stack a ton of damage per cast, you wouldn't believe the difference it could make in your performance and damage output. For instance, I have kept the spellfire and spellstrike sets since I hit 70. Yes there is much better gear out there from ZA/Badges/Some T5, but most of that gear doesn't come with a +92dmg for 10 seconds set bonus or Increases your spell damage buy 7% of your intellect set bonus. With this build, you will most likely crit every other spell (with the right gear). This almost ensure those buffs to appear everytime you cast. An example of a trinket I have that would relay the same message/results is the Blessings Deck. It is basically +80 spell damage everytime you cast. So, with these things said, I have seen my base damage go from 1038 to 1341 just from casting at least 8 times.

Next, Let's talk about spell rotations for this spec. This really depends on what you're killing and how fast you're raid is killing it. First and foremost, make sure you get 5 scorches up on the mob. This will make whatever you're killing 3% more vulnerable to fire damage helping you crit. After the scorches are up assess the situation. Is the mob almost dead? Throw a fire blast at it. Does it have a third of its life left? Cast a firebolt then throw a fire blast at it. Are you in the middle of an intense Raid Boss Fight? Cast firebolts untill your scorch debuff on the boss (which lasts 30 seconds) is at about 7 seconds, then throw up another scorch (this keeps the scorchx5 debuff up there). Firebolt is the most mana effecient per damage output fire cast mages have. Since this Raid Fire spec isn't really mana conservation friendly, you will want to save as much mana as you can (I also recommend setting up a mana gaining rotation between pots and conjured mana gems. If this is done correctly, you will never run out of mana.)

Lastly, Aggro is a bitch. You're a mage. You're going to pull aggro, but there are ways that you can mitigate this problem. If you see yourself fastly approaching the charts on Omen, STOP CASTING. Use this time to drink a pot, eat a warlock cookie, bandage, etc. You may not come in first on damage, but you won't die because of pulling aggro, and you won't cause a raid wipe most importantly. Ice block and Invisibility are nice, but they are both cool downs and should be used very timely to ensure the best DPS results.

These different Mage tips, along with countless more, are just a few ways to increase damage, conserve mana, and mitigate aggro. I hope that what I have displayed will give the reader a better understanding of the misunderstood dunce class known as.....Mage.

Regards,

Ltomelt
Regecide

And remember, above all, Mages are a MELEE class!
Exsanguis

Thanks for the tips Lto.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Naked Elves Forum Index -> Mage Class Mechanics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: